USA Today has released its list of the 15 zoos across the country with the most charming baby animals. The Myrtle Beach area’s own Brookgreen Gardens finds itself on this list because of the baby alligators born at its Lowcountry Zoo.
In September, the Lowcountry Zoo’s own resident alligator, Cowboy, became a father to the facility’s first baby gators in decades. Cowboy has been a Lowcountry Zoo resident since the 1970s and is between 65 and 70 years old.
“Brookgreen Gardens has long been a source of natural wonder and beauty here in the Myrtle Beach area, and the eclectic, fascinating selection of animals at its zoo is as much a reason for that as its magnificent flowers and sculptures,” said Brad Dean, president and CEO of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce. “The newest additions to the Lowcountry Zoo offer visitors yet another reason to take a tour of our beautiful public garden.”
The 15 cutest baby animals worth seeing this summer, according to USA Today, are:
- · Two-Clouded Leopard Cubs – Denver Zoo
- · Humboldt Penguin Chick – Brookfield Zoo in Chicago
- · Baird’s Tapir – Palm Beach Zoo and Conservation Society in Florida
- · Grevy’s Zebra Foal – Franklin Park Zoo in Boston
- · Giant Panda Cub – Smithsonian’s National Zoo in Washington, D.C.
- · Red River Hoglet – Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs
- · Elephant Calf – Albuquerque BioPark
- · Baby Alligators – The Lowcountry Zoo at Brookgreen Gardens in the Myrtle Beach area
- · Baby Wallaby – Zoo Boise in Idaho
- · Lion Cubs – The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
- · Kiko the Baby Giraffe – Greenville Zoo in South Carolina
- · Meerkat Pups – Brevard Zoo in Melbourne, Fla.
- · Baby Giant Anteater – Santa Barbara Zoo in California
- · Kamoli the Gorilla – Columbus Zoo in Ohio
- · Sumatran Tiger Cubs – San Antonio Zoo in Texas