Image by Provided Learn to crab with the Charleston Parks Conservancy!
Looking for a little something to do with the family while upping your "green" status?
Below are some upcoming events that have been scheduled by the Charleston Parks Conservancy.
Tightwad Gardening: Make and Take Self-Watering Containers
- When: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, June 28
- Where: Dwellsmart, 804 Meeting St. in Charleston
- Who: Adults and teens
- Cost: $25
- Join the Charleston Parks Conservancy to make “grow boxes,” self-watering containers made from 32-gallon plastic storage bins. These low-maintenance container gardens last up to five years. Great for gardening in small spaces. Register online.
FLIP Gymnastics Clinic
- When: 1-2:30 p.m. Friday, June 29
- Where: Hazel Parker Playground classroom, 70 East Bay St. in Charleston
- Cost: $10
- Beat the heat and play indoors with FLIP mobile gymnastics. With the inflatable trampoline tumbling strip, kids will be able to try skills with a little extra spring and without fear of falling. All children will be taught the importance of proper stretching and strength to stay fit and safe. Gymnastics is a sport that can build strength, coordination and flexibility. Try out the sport with the Charleston Parks Conservancy. Register online. Class size is limited.
Learn to Crab with the Charleston Parks Conservancy
- When: 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday, July 5
- Where: Daniel Island Waterfront Park Pier, 101 River Landing Drive on Daniel Island
- Cost: $20 per person
- Learn about the South Carolina swimmer, Callinectes sapidus. Each participant will receive a drop net to rig and take home after the class. Bait is supplied. Class is catch and release, but if you want, bring a cooler to take home crabs larger than 5 inches. All participants must be registered. Children ages 5 and up are welcome to register but must be accompanied by a paid and registered chaperone age 18 or older. Must pre-register; class size is limited. Register online.
For more information, contact Mary Horton at 843-724-5003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.