The 12th Annual Kiawah Island Art & House Tour will take place Friday, April 13, from 1 to 5 p.m. with five Kiawah Island homes open for public viewing.
Each year, new homes featured on the tour and showcase a variety of architectural styles and art.
The event is sponsored by Gibbes etc., an auxiliary group of the Gibbes Museum of Art. Tickets are $55 per person, and include access to five homes, light refreshments and a pass to the Gibbes Museum of Art (valid through December 31, 2011). Tickets can be purchased at The Gibbes Museum store, online or at Kiawah Island Real Estate offices.
- House 1: Featuring an open floor plan and exposed steel beams, this contemporary home provides remarkable views of Kiawah’s Blue Heron Pond. The Great Room has textured grass cloth walls, North Carolina blue stone fireplace and a 30-foot high glass window. The owners’ art collection is as unique as the architecture of the home.
- House 2: This shingle style three story home has expansive views of Bass Creek, marshes and ocean. The house is full of light and color and boasts an impressive collection of Russian Art, which can be found throughout the house.
- House 3 (pictured): Located in the Summer Islands enclave, this classic shingle style house features a sweeping staircase, floor to ceiling windows in the Great Room, interior bar and wine cellar and outdoor kitchen area that flanks the pool and cascading falls. Lowcountry artwork is displayed throughout.
- House 4: This light-filled, coastal style home has floor to ceiling windows and French doors that open to a spectacular view of beach grasses and trails that lead to the ocean. Boasting views of the ocean from nearly every room and an impressive art collection, this home is sure to impress.
- House 5: Guests first pass through an iron and concrete front gate to a modern falling water fountain and sculpture garden. Inside overlooks Bass Creek and contains more sculptures, contemporary and traditional art collection, as well as family pieces dating back to the 17th century.
Several participating restaurants and retailers at Freshfields will be offering specials for attendees of the event, including:
- Java Java: 10% off lunch
- La Tela Pizzeria: Complimentary Bloody Mary
- Leggiadro: Complimentary champagne and treats throughout the day
- The Station: “Brown Bag Lunch” for just $4.95
- Vincent’s Soda Fountain: 10% off all food, ice cream and drinks
Gibbes etc. is comprised of a group of Kiawah Island women dedicated to supporting the museum. Since its inception in 2001, and through the Kiawah Island Art and House Tour, Gibbes, etc. has presented the Gibbes with more than $1,000,000 to date to fund traveling exhibitions and art education projects in the community. In 2011, Gibbes, etc. was honored with the James S. Gibbes Philanthropy Award.