Remembering 9/11 - Events along the Grand Strand
photo by flickr member Johnathaneric
Hard to believe it's been ten years since the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Many events are scheduled across the Grand Strand to commemorate the anniversary.
Friday, September 9th:
- Atlantic Stage will present "The Guys" as a part of it's scheduled run. All proceeds from the Friday night show will be donated to the Horry County Firefighters Relief Fund. The play is based on the true story of a fire captain who lost eight men in the collapse of the World Trade Center and the editor who helps him prepare the eulogies he must deliver. You can purchase tickets in advance online.
Saturday, September 10th:
- Liberty Steakhouse will host "Liberty Remembers 9-11: A Decade Later" at Broadway at the Beach, near the yard that holds the inflatable playground, from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. Admission is free. There will be music, food for purchase, fire truck tours, inflatables, and a dunking booth. Proceeds will benefit the City of Myrtle Beach Fire Department. For more information, click here.
- The friends of The Unity Memorial will hold a 9/11 Ceremony of Remembrance from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Unity Memorial, which is located at the corner of Robert Grissom Parkway and 29th Avenue, near Ripley's Aquarium at Broadway at the Beach. During the ceremony an American flag will be raised and there will be a candlelight service to honor the heroes of that day. You can call James McIlrath at (843) 448-2019 for more information.
Sunday, September 11th:
- The Myrtle Beach Running Club will host the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers 5K Run and 1-Mile Walk at 7:30 a.m. at Plyler Park in downtown Myrtle Beach. To learn more about the event or register, check out their website here.
- The 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb will take place on Sunday beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the Yachtsman Resort. Firefighters, EMTs, and police officers will climb stairs in honor of the 343 first-responders lost on 9/11. Funds raised by the registration fees will go to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation and everyone is welcome to support the participants. For more information, check out this write-up.
- The Dead Dog Saloon, in Murrell's Inlet, is hosting their 10th Annual 9/11 Benefit on Sunday. The doors open at 10:00 a.m. and live music begins at 11:00 a.m. A formal ceremony will take place at 1:00 p.m. There will be free food, entertainment, auctions, prizes, and 50/50 raffles with all proceeds benefiting local police and fire departments. For more information check out their website.
- The Coastal Carolina Shields will host an annual September 11th Memorial Ceremony at the Sands Ocean Dunes Resort Hall of Heroes at 201 75th Ave. N., Myrtle Beach, beginning at 11:00 a.m. You can find more information about the event here.
- Carolina Human Reinvestment is hosting an appreciation/memorial event at Huntington State Park in Murrell's Inlet beginning at 2:00 p.m. with food and games until 5:00 p.m. A memorial service will be from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- A 9/11 Memorial Dedication Ceremony will take place at the Midland Fire Rescue, 67 Saint Paul Place in Litchfield at 2:00 p.m. It will include an actual piece of the former World Trade Center.
- A memorial service will be held on Main Street in North Myrtle Beach at 3:00 p.m. complete with a 21-gun salute and American flags given to the first 2974 attendees.
- The Peter Horry Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will host a non-political and non-denominational prayer and musical homage memorial service to those who provided protection on and during the events surrounding the 9/11 attacks. There will be performances by Carolina Master Chorale and the Chamber Youth Orchestra from the Long Bay Youth Symphony. The memorial will begin at 4:00 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church in Conway. You can visit the Conway Chamber of Commerce site for more information.
- The Long Bay Symphony wil perform a concert at Riverfront Park in Conway on Sunday, September 11th at 6:00. For more information click here.
Do you know of another 9/11 event happening in the Grand Strand? We'd love for you to add it.