Image by Austin Dandridge/TheDigitelImage by 20090520-pop-up.jpg On Wednesday afternoon the shop was nearly done, but still popping up.
Update May 23: Check out the video of opening night.
Update May 22: The Charleston City Paper has a short write-up from opening night.
Say you run an independent design shop and wish you had a retail spot during Charleston's hot Spoleto season, only you don't want to dish out hundreds of dollars in rent. What to do?
Well, eight local designers think they've found the answer in a "Pop Up Shop."
What is this crazy thing? Well it's defined loosely as: "Pop-ups are the epitome of our high-speed, short-attention-span culture. They are restaurants, bars, clubs and shops that spring up in unexpected locations, cause a storm, and disappear just before the fashion crowd moves on to the next big thing."
And from May 21st until June 21st, goods from eight local artisans will be sold at 501 King Street.
They'll be kicking-off with a shopping party on Thursday, May 21, from 4 to 8 p.m.
Artists and designers featured in this project include:
- Lindsey Carter of Troubadour and Carter Humphrey with Leigh Humphrey
- Sterling Kenan and Caroline Ross of Ross Kenan Interiors
- Library: Archives of Fashion vintage collection
- Harper Poe and Molly Purnell of Proud Mary
- Julie Wheat's handbags
- Jenny Thompson with Theodosia Jewelry
- Kate Long Stevenson's fine arts
- Clewis Reid, eco-friendly clothing designed by Ashley Reid