There's still time to register for "Legal Lessons: A Series for the Public" in Beaufort.
Sponsored by the S.C. Bar Pro Bono Program, Legal Lessons is a seven-week program designed to give the public an overview of the South Carolina legal system and insight into common legal problems people face. The series will be held on Tuesday evenings beginning Sept. 4 and continuing through Oct. 16 from 6 to 9 p.m. Classes will be held at the Technical College of the Lowcountry located at 921 Ribaut Rd. in Beaufort. The schedule is as follows:
- Sept. 4 — overview of state courts and alternative dispute resolution
- Sept. 11 — juvenile justice and overview of child protection hearings
- Sept. 18— family law, real estate and landlord-tenant law
- Sept. 25 — wills, estates and probate, health care and elder law
- Oct. 2 — S.C. workers’ compensation and employment law
- Oct. 9 — bankruptcy law, consumer law and debt collection
- Oct. 16 — criminal law and torts
The deadline to enroll is Wednesday, Aug. 29. The cost of the seven-week course is $45 and includes course materials. To register, call (843) 525-8205 or visit www.tcl.edu/continuing-ed/legal-lessons. For all other questions, contact the S.C. Bar Pro Bono Program at (803) 799-6653, ext. 158.
The South Carolina Bar, which has a membership of more than 14,000 lawyers, is dedicated to advancing justice, professionalism and understanding of the law.