Flickr user Speed-Light
The Breckenridge Brewery 471 Small Batch IPA, one of my favorites of the style — and it weighs in at a hefty 9.2%.
After a "Bluffton International & Craft Beer Festival" back in November, Bluffton is still keeping at brewing their beer chops and will be host to a "Bold Beer Bash" on Thursday, March 15th, from 7 to 10 p.m.
The festival will be at the Old Myrtle's Restaurant in downtown Bluffton and feature more than 40 strong international and domestic craft beers with food pairings, and music from "Neil & Bob".
The Bold Beer Bash is an educational and informative showcase of elite beers including Belgian Ales, American Strong Ales, American Double Imperial Pilsners, Stouts, Strong IPAs, Saisons, and Farmhouse Ales.
(If you're like me, you're already sold.)
Here's more from the organizers:
The Bluffton Bold Beer Bash will feature the world of beers over 7% alcohol by volume (ABV).
Every beer at the Bold Beer Bash will have it’s own personality. A few will be light in color with a fruity taste, some will be dark and robust, but every one will be complex and without a doubt; they will be strong! Each one of these strong sipping beers have their own personality, complexity, color, aroma, and taste.
High gravity beers are not crafted with the sole intent of a higher alcohol content. The higher percentage of alcohol is due to the use of more fermentable sugars and other ingredients that are used by brewers trying to create complex, flavorful and unique beers. These "High Gravity Beers" or bold beers are about quality, not quantity.
Admission to the event is $45 in advance and $55 at the door. Only 225 tickets to this event will be sold. No one under 21 will be permitted. A Beer Festival Souvenir Sampling Glass and 20 beer or food samples are included with a festival ticket. Additional 2 ounce samples can be purchased at the event for $2 each. A percentage of proceeds from the tasting will go to benefit a Palmetto Animal League. Reeves Outdoor Catering will cater the event.
The "almost complete" list of beers
- Brewery Bosteels – Tripel Karmeliet 8.0%
- Brewery L. Huyghe – Delirium Tremens 8.5%
- Bockor – Omer Belgian Blond 8.0%
- Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat – Maredsous Triple 10.0%
- Steenbrugge Tripel 8.7%
- Rochefort 10 11.30%
- Brasserie d’Orval S.A. – Oravl 6.9%
- Brouwerij Westmalle – Westmalle Triple 9.5%
- Kasteel Triple – 11.0%
- Malheur 10 – 10.0%
- Malheur Dark Brut – 12.0%
- Caracole – Saxo – Strong Pale Ale 8.0%
- Corsendonk – Abbey Pale Ale 7.5
American Strong Ales
- Stone – Arrogant Bastard Ale 7.2%
- Allagash – Triple 9.0 %
- Brewery Ommegang – Abbey Ale 8.5%
- New Belgium – Abbey 7.0%
- New Belgium – Trippel 7.8%
- Southern Tier Iniquity – Black Ale 9%
- Westbrook Vanilla Tree Dubbel 7.5%
- Sierra Nevada – Ovila – Double
American Double Imperial Pilsners
- Breckenridge – Regal Imperial Pilsner 7.7%
- Holy City – Imperial Pilsner 8.4%
Stouts / Porters
- Allagash – Black 7.5%
- Breckenridge – ’72 Imperial Double Chocolate Cream Stout 7.2%
- Victory – Storm King Stout 9.1%
- Sweetwater – Happy Ending Imperial Stout 9.0%
- Mad River – Steelhead Double IPA 8.6%
- Stone – Sublimely Self Righteous Ale 8.7%
- Breckenridge – 471 Double IPA 9.2%
- Samuel Adams – Dark Depths Baltic IPA 7.4%
- Victory – Hop Wallop – 8.4%
- Bells – Two Hearted Ale – 7.0%
- Southern Tier Unearthly IPA 9.5%
- Mad River – John Barleycorn Barleywine 10%
- Samuel Adams – Griffin’s Bow Oaked Blond Barleywine 10%
- Full Sail LTD 04 – Lager 7%
- Carlsberg Elephant – Lager 7%
- Spaten – Optimator – Dobbelbock 7.6%
- La Trappe – La Trappe Quad 10%
- Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre – Three Monts – Golden Ale 8.5%
- Sierra Nevada – Ovila – Saison