A fiery dragon painted on Amate Bark Paper, in a preview class with Kim Keats at ARTworks.
ARTworks' afterschool program where children ages 6 to 16 can make and learn about art in Beaufort's community arts center resumes on Tuesday, January 24th.
- Hand-Crafted Creations on Tuesdays with Heather Denardo for ages 6-9 : Rigid canvas, fun designs and ooodles of yarn offer students a class with hands on creativity. No two items will look alike as the students' personal sense of design and color choice will make an individual statement. We will be creating such items as bookmarks, cell phone or glass holders, coasters, and a curio box.
- More Artmaking in the Afternoon on Tuesdays with Kim Keats, for ages 10 -15. Students will explore a number of visual arts disciplines including painting, weaving, and sculpture using an array of art materials. Each day will offer creative experiences intended to expand the participants' technical skills and knowledge of both two-dimensional and three-dimensional elements of design. For returning Artmaking students, there will be more lessons to challenge and more projects to inspire you!
- Printmaking on Wednesdays with Deanna Bowdish for ages 6-9 . This class offers students the opportunity to have a 7 week course in printmaking. Working specifically with block printing we will carve an image into the block and print from that surface. No experience is necessary, a creative mind and an eagerness to learn are the only skills required. Be prepared to get DIRTY - inks will not wash out of clothing, but are water based and non-toxic!
- Hammered Metal on Wednesday with Peggy Carvel for ages 11-16. For the metal worker at heart, this class will focus on techniques to shape, form, and texture different kinds of metals. Over the 7-week period, each student will create a multi-component, one-of-a-kind piece of jewelry.
- Theatrical Movement on Thursdays with Heather Denardo, for ages 6-9 . One of the most vital and least explored skills in basic theater is movement! In this class, designed for youngsters ages 6-9, we will explore various types of movement from inanimate objects to aliens and everything in between. Starting, literally, from the ground up, students will gain a sense of self-awareness and body control that will help them create believable and realistic performances for our showcase.
- Adventure Stories by Lowcountry Kids on Thursdays with Lisa Rentz for ages 9 -16 . Write about panda tribes or camping on the beach - whatever the imagination conjures, by experiencing the creative writing process: finding inspiration, details, and the right words, and dedicating time to writing, sharing, and feedback. Young writers will work in their own notebooks, and together on a group story.
It's $50 for each seven week class from 4 to 5:30 p.m. (Family discounts are available; scholarships supported by a private family foundation are awarded to students who qualify for free/reduced price lunch.)
Call 843-379-2787 or in person @ ARTworks in Beaufort Town Center, 2127 Boundary Street. www.ArtWorksInBeaufort.org.
ARTworks applies the many creative tools of The Arts to strengthen artists, and enrich audiences, collectors, and visitors through high quality arts experiences and arts education programs 365 days a year.